Supporting Girl Child Education
Education is one of the most critical areas of empowerment for women. It is also an area that offers some of the clearest examples of discrimination women suffer. Among children not attending school, there are many girls. Among illiterate adults, there are twice as many women as men.
Offering girls primary education is one sure way of giving them a much higher power, which is of enabling them to make good choices. This, however, is not a luxury. The Convention on the Rights of the Child and the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women establish it as a fundamental human right.
Vishvodayaa Trust’s Girl Education for Empowerment Project (GEEP) focuses on improving the conditions by which girls, especially those in the marginalized communities can access quality education. Education is an important tool which enables women and girls to participate in decisions that affect their lives and in improving their social status. GEEP, while working through the formal school systems as well as through the integrated programs of Vishvodayaa Trust provides the necessary. Following the Right to Education, Vishvodayaa Trust has been actively engaged with other agencies and the larger civil society to support girl Child Education in its true spirit. GEEP is committed to enabling effective implementation of education provisions and policies for rights.
Importance of Educating the Girl Child
• Economic development and prosperity: Educating the girl child will help in empowering them to come forward and contribute towards the prosperity and development of the country.
• Economic empowerment: Helpless condition can’t be changed for the men if the women are backward and depend on men. Economic independence and empowerment will come when we educate the girl child.
• Improved life: Educating of the girl child helps in the improvement of a good life. The identity of the girl won’t be lost. She has the ability to read and learn about her own rights. She won’t be trodden down about her rights. There will be a general improvement in her life.
• Improved health: Educated girls bring an awareness of the importance of hygiene and health. Through education, they can lead a healthy lifestyle. The women that are educated can carter for their children better.
• Dignity and honour: Educated women are now looked upon with dignity and honour. They become a source of inspiration for millions of young girls who make them their role-models.
• The choice to choose a profession of her choice: educated girls can prove to be successful in their different professions. When the girl child has the opportunity to be educated, it gives her a better chance to become a successful cook, engineer, doctor or the choice of the profession she wants.